TVShare Media Server

User Forums

Go to TVShare home page
View unanswered posts
View active topics
It is currently Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:05 am

*  Forum rules
Before making use of this forum, please read in its entirety the forum policies announcement http://www.tvmediashare.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=38.

JeffLawlor
Post  Post subject: No "Music and Photos" Menu  |  Posted: Mon May 04, 2015 8:23 pm

I've read through this entire site and have tried all the suggestions. I still don't see the "Music and Photos" menu under Extras.

Questions:
  • Is TVMediaShare supported on the Genie DVR?
  • How does Windows Media Player DLNA sharing interact with TVMedia Share? I've tried with WMP sharing enabled and disabled. Neither make a difference but I'd like to know what the correct configuration is.

Thanks,
Jeff

TVShareadmin
Post  Post subject: Re: No "Music and Photos" Menu  |  Posted: Mon May 04, 2015 11:23 pm
Site Admin

Hi JeffLawlor,

Yes TVShare is supported on the Genie DVR.

Windows media player DLNA sharing is completely separate from TVShare and has no effect on it's operation.

If you are not seeing the 'Music & Photos' menu option then that means that your receiver is not seeing the computer running TVShare. Since you say you've tried everything on the site I am going to assume you've already tried pinging your Directv receiver from the computer running TVShare and got responses so we know that there is no problem with the network connection. Also I assume you have disabled any firewalls.

First the mediaShare functionality uses a technology called UPNP (Universal plug and play) for communication. UPNP is not designed to repeat across a lot of network switches/routers. I assume you only have 1 or two switches between your server and the receiver.

let's see if your computer is serving up TVShare properly. Hopefully you have more that 1 computer on your network. When you start TVShare in the small text box at the bottom of the main screen you should see some text that says:

Starting Server for address: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Write down that address. There may be more than one if you have more than one network card in your computer. Leave TVShare running. Now go over to another computer on the same network..open up an internet browser. In the address bar type:

http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:50003/serverdescription

replace the xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx with the address you wrote down. Also, if you have changed the port number for TVShare in advanced settings then change the '50003' to the actual port number you are using.

When you go to that address if things are working then you should see an XML document that describes the TVShare server. if you get any message like 'web site not found' or error 404 then that means that something is stopping your TVShare computer from serving up the correct pages. make sure that Java and TVShare have all access to the local network. Also for some switches and routers there is the option to turn on UPNP, make sure it is on. Sometimes it is necessary to turn on port forwarding for the port you have set up in TVShare (default 50003).

I hope this helps!

TVShareadmin
Post  Post subject: Re: No "Music and Photos" Menu  |  Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:09 pm
Site Admin

Jeff,
I have had several people with Genie receiver tell me they are experiencing issues and I found the following post on the DirecTV forums:

http://forums.directv.com/thread/11261695

Apparently they made a firmware upgrade that accidentally removed the mediaShare feature on the Genie. All I can say is that a friendly call to Directv support to encourage them to fix the problem might be a good idea.

TVShareadmin
Post  Post subject: Re: No "Music and Photos" Menu  |  Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:18 am
Site Admin

Looks like Directv brought back the mediaShare feature on the Genie receivers.

However, quite a few changes were required to get things working on it. You must use the new TVShare version 1.30, also, read the instructions here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=106